Royal Ascot, one of the world’s greatest race horsing events, takes place from Tuesday 14th June for five days. It presents the opportunity to witness the finest racehorses from around the globe in action, so it’s no wonder that Great Britain’s highly treasured race meeting attracts a lot of attention.
With celebrations for the prestigious event almost underway, we are taking the opportunity to fill you in on all you need to know. Cheer on with the Queen and become an Ascot Expert!
- The participating racehorses at Royal Ascot compete for over £6.58 million in prize money. No wonder so many compete for the lucrative winnings!
- The Queen is a proud horse owner who has attended each and every Royal Meeting during her reign. Her horse, Estimate, won the iconic Gold Cup in 2013.
- The Royal Procession, a ceremonial honour, takes place at the beginning of each race day. This was first introduced by King George IV in 1825.
- Day One of Royal Ascot, which falls on Tuesday 14th June this year, has three Group One races, which are known as the most prestigious of Flat races. The ‘Queen Anne Stakes’ is one of them, which is notably named after the Royal Ascot’s founder!
- The second day of Ascot excitingly features the Group One Prince of Wale’s stakes. Dating back to 1862, the race is often considered as Royal Ascot’s most crucial. Wednesday at Royal Ascot is a relaxed atmosphere for the quieter crowd!
- The significant Gold Cup takes place on Thursday at Royal Ascot. This long distance race is highly regarded in Britain and attracts thousands of revellers. Thursday is also recognised as Ladies Day at Royal Ascot.
- Friday leads you perfectly into the weekend, with an exciting array of traditional highlights including the Commonwealth Cup.
- Royal Ascot closes on Saturday with the Diamond Jubilee Stakes and the second British leg of the Global Sprint Challenge.
- The five days of Royal Ascot, aren’t all about racing of course – guideline fashion and style choices are a major focus! So don’t worry ladies, if you are not in to horse racing it is worth following Ascot just to see what styles celebrities and VIPs are going for this year!
Are you attending Royal Ascot this year? Let us know and tweet us at @SpicersofHythe. We would love to see your photographs.
Celebrate Royal Ascot in VIP style, with the Brockleigh Park hamper, part of our Luxury Hampers range. Perfect gourmet goodies for you to enjoy with friends and family.