With March just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about pancake day! Traditionally, Shrove Tuesday is about emptying your cupboards to rustle up some tasty pancakes in preparation for Lent, but it’s also an exciting time to whip up some new recipes! So, get your frying pans at the ready… we’ve got three new tasty ways for you to enjoy your pancakes this year.
Green spinach and smoked salmon
- 100g baby spinach (chopped)
- 250ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 175g plain flower
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Olive oil
- 150g smoked salmon
- 1 lemon – half juiced, half sliced into wedges
- 6 tbsp crème fraiche
- Dill to serve
- Mix the lemon juice, crème fraiche and dill and season well.
- Add the milk, eggs spinach and butter into a bowl and blend into a smooth, green puree
- In another bowl, mix the plain flour, baking powder and 1 tsp salt then slowly combine with the wet mixture
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add a little olive oil
- Pour in a small ladle of the batter to make a small American style pancake
- When bubbles form on top, flip the pancake over and cook the other side
- Serve stacked with smoked salmon, crème fraiche and dill
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 250ml full-fat milk
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tsp instant espresso, dissolved in 2 tbsp just-boiled water
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Whisk together the eggs, oil and milk. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, flour and baking powder. Then whisk both mixtures together and transfer to a jug.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a frying pan and pour in small rounds of batter. Cook until little bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook on the other side for a further 1 minute.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up
- Heat half of the cream with the espresso and leave for 15 minutes to thicken
- Whip the other half of the cream until soft-medium peaks are formed
- To serve, stack the pancakes as desired and top with the whipped cream and drizzle with the mocha sauce.
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 25g butter
- Gel food colouring (blue, red, yellow and green recommended)
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Whisk all the pancake ingredients apart from the food colouring, in a large bowl
- Divide batter into 4 separate bowls adding the different food colourings to each
- Melt a small knob of butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat
- Once hot, spoon the batter into the pan to make small American style pancakes
- Cook for 2-3 minutes then flip, cook for another 1 minute
- Stack the pancakes so they make a rainbow colour and serve with your choice of toppings.