We all know that the seating plan at a wedding can be a bit hit or miss! Just in case you need to dazzle someone with your wedding trivia, before you amaze them on the dance floor, here’s everything you need to know…
- Queen Victoria’s wedding cake almost weighed an incredible 300 pounds!
- On her wedding day, Grace Kelly wore a dress with a bodice made from stunning 125 year old lace.
- Wearing you wedding and engagement rings on the fourth finger of your left hand is a tradition that dates back to ancient times. The Romans believed that a vein in this particular finger, called ‘vena amoris’ (a.k.a. the ‘vein of love’), led directly to the heart.
- Queen Victoria started the Western world’s white wedding dress trend, following her marriage to Prince Albert in 1840.
- Each year, the UK wedding industry is worth over £10 billion.
- The fastest marathon time in a wedding dress (male) is 3 hr 00 min 54 sec, at the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon.
- The fastest marathon time in a wedding dress (female) is 3 hr 16 min 44 sec, at the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon.
- A former Tamil Nadu chief minister and movie star hosted a reception banquet for over 150,000 guests at her foster son’s wedding in the 20 hectare (50 acre) grounds in Madras, India on 7 September 1995.
- The record for the oldest best man is Ronald Hornby, who served aged 96 years and 89 days in Northern Ireland in 2014.
- The world’s most expensive wedding dress was created for the Luxury Brands Lifestyle Bridal Show in California in 2006. The $12 million wedding gown included 150 carats’ worth of diamonds.
With Spicers of Hythe, not only will you be throwing down the gauntlet for future wedding gifts, you’ll be the best informed guest to fill those awkward silences at the table in case you don’t win the table plan lottery!
For your chance to win the ultimate wedding hamper, see our previous blog post here for details on how to enter. Enjoy the wedding season!