There’s an exciting day coming up this weekend: it’s National Cheese Lovers Day!
Taking place on 20th January, National Cheese Lovers Day is a celebration which originated in America and has since been adopted all over the world. We’re huge foodies at Spicers of Hythe, so welcome any opportunity to craft some cheesy delights!
In honour of National Cheese Lovers Day, we’ve put together some quick and easy recipes where cheese is the star of the show.
Crunchy parmesan cheese straws
All you need for these tasty cheese straws is one egg, one sheet of frozen puff pastry, 65g of parmesan, ½ teaspoons of paprika and salt and pepper. These pastry snacks are a lovely savoury treat to enjoy with a cup of tea!
- Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water
- Roll out the sheet of thawed frozen puff pastry into a 12-inch square on a floured surface
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle the cup of grated parmesan, ½ teaspoon each of paprika and salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper on top
- Cut the pastry into 24 strips which are roughly ½ inch thick and twist each strip
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes until golden
Honey and walnut goats cheese toasts
If you’re a cheese lover with a sweet tooth, this recipe is sure to get your taste buds tingling. You’ll need an 11-ounce log of goats cheese, some crostini, plus 85g cup of olive oil, 85g cup of walnut oil and 85g cup of chopped walnuts, chives, 2 teaspoons of honey and some pepper.
- Add the olive oil, walnut oil, chopped walnuts, honey and pepper to a bowl and mix
- Pour the mixture over the sliced goats cheese in a dish
- Let the cheese marinade for 2 hours
- Spread thickly onto the crostini
- Top with chopped chives and serve
These delicious flatbreads are bursting with flavour and are perfect for a Mediterranean-inspired starter or side dish. You will need two flatbreads, 65g cup each of chopped green olives, shredded asiago (or Romano) cheese and parsley, ¼ cup of olive oil and 1 grated garlic clove.
- Add the chopped green olives, parsley, olive oil and grated garlic clove to a bowl, season with pepper and mix together
- Spread onto 2 flatbreads
- Top with the shredded asiago
- Back at 425 degrees F until crisp, for 12 minutes
- Cut into pieces