as Vegan-uary is upon us and New Years resolutions are fresh in our mind, we thought it would be a great idea to give you some inspiration for Meat-Free Mondays meal ideas. Vegetarian and vegan meals don’t have to be boring and Meat-Free Monday can be so much more than a pasta bake. We have put together some simple but delectable recipes to excite your taste buds!
Satay sweet potato curry
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 500g of sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 400ml of coconut milk
- 200g bag of spinach
- 1 juiced lime
- Cooked rice
- Small piece of grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons of thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon of smooth peanut butter
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add 1 of the chopped onions to the mixture. Cook for 5 minutes. Then add garlic cloves and the grated piece of ginger. Cook until you start to smell the delicious ginger and garlic aroma!
- Next, start to stir in 3 tablespoons of thai red curry paste, peanut butter and sweet potato. Then add in the coconut milk and 200ml of water.
- Bring this to a boil - then turn down the heat and let the mixture simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- To finish, stir through 200g of spinach and the lime juice. Serve with rice - yum!
Cheesy aubergine lasagne
- 2 medium aubergines
- Salt & pepper
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of oregano
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
- 700g jar marinara sauce
- 400g of grared mozzarella
- 450g of ricotta
- 50g of grated parmesan
- Slice thin and cut off the ends of the aubergines, then lay slices and season with salt. Pat dry with paper towels and let these sit for 20 minutes.
- Pour oil in a pan and saute garlic for a minute or so, then add oregano and onions whilst seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the marinara sauce and cook until warmed through.
- Combine the parmesan, ricotta, egg and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Then spread a thin layer of marinara sauce in a medium casserole dish, a layer of aubergine, a layer of the combination cheese mix and repeat.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes in an oven at 200°C – then garnish with parsley and serve – how delicious!
Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchi
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 12 ounces portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 handful of spinach
- ½ a cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1 pound of uncooked potato gnocchi
- 1/3 cup of dry white wine
- Salt & pepper
- Add the olive oil to a pan on medium heat, then sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and mushrooms, continue to stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard and wine and let it bubble for a minute, then add the cream and gnocchi and bring to the boil After the bubbling begins, change the heat to low and let it cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Then stir in the spinach, cover the pan and cook for another further 3 minutes.
- Finish by stirring in the parmesan, season with salt & pepper and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately and add more grated cheese if you wish!
Other blog articles you may be interested in: