Less than two weeks to go and we’re feeling all Christmassy over here at Spicers of Hythe! It’s time to eat, drink and be merry, and what’s more festive than a fragrant glass of warming mulled wine? Always a crowd-pleaser at any party or gathering, the festive drink is quite simply Christmas in a cup! So, we’ve decided to share with you our favourite traditional mulled wine, that can be made in 7 simple steps. Enjoy!
- 1 lemon
- 2 oranges
- 8 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4cm piece of peeled and sliced ginger
- 60g brown sugar
- 60ml port
- 75cl bottle of red wine
Peel the zest of one of the oranges and the lemon into thin strips, and place into separate bowls then set aside for later
- In the remaining orange, push the 8 cloves into them (so it looks like a hedgehog!)
- Juice the zested orange completely and add to a large saucepan
- Add the zest of the orange and lemon, the ginger, sugar, port, red wine and 750ml water to the saucepan of orange juice
- Put on a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved
- Then turn the heat up slightly and simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!