If you’re not looking for a big hearty meal or a busy restaurant on Mother’s Day, why not treat the whole family to a delicious Mother’s Day afternoon tea at home?
Here at Spicers we have a great appreciation for gourmet delights and sweet treats, (put it down to years of experience!). So, we have come up with our 5 top tips for creating the perfect afternoon tea.
- Don’t scrimp on the savoury foods – a good sweet to savoury balance is essential. Perhaps you could try adding mini quiches, sausage rolls or even little porkpies to your sandwich selection! You could even try swapping sandwiches for Bellini canapés or slices of wraps.
- Good quality scones are a must when you’re striving for perfection! If you haven’t got the time or patience to bake your own, then scones are really one of those things where paying more usually results in better quality!
- The addition of a miniature fruit tart is a great way to introduce something a little lighter whilst maintaining some decadent luxury to your afternoon tea party – not to mention a nod towards one of your 5 a day!
- A taste of chocolate is absolutely essential! Choose from a rich brownie, ganache covered cake or melt in the mouth torte - no Mother’s Day celebration would be complete without a touch of cocoa.
- And finally, don’t forget the tea. Now would be the perfect time to test something a little different or add a box of premium blend to the cupboard. Including a soft drink alternative such as a nice bottle of Belvoir Elderflower cordial could give you added bonus points, especially if the afternoon tea is likely to stretch out to the whole afternoon…