Let’s celebrate World Chocolate Day by getting the lowdown on all things cocoa, down to the sweet and downright bitter details! World Chocolate Day is an annual day to unite chocolate lovers and to celebrate the day when chocolate was first brought to Europe in 1550. To honour this special day, we’ve teamed up with our supplier, family-run Guppy’s Chocolates to bring you a decadent chocolate cake with delicious salted caramel chocolate shards…
You may also see some photos of the Guppy’s Chocolates’ team in action; Fran, Peter and their daughters making those delicious chocolate shards we mentioned!
You will need the following ingredients for our choc-tastic cake:
Ingredients for the cake
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 200g self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 400g icing sugar
- 100g milk chocolate (chopped in pieces)
- 200g softened butter
Ingredients for the decoration
- A pack of Guppy’s Chocolates’ salted caramel chocolate shards (as featured in our Midnight Star Hamper or available to purchase on Guppy’s Chocolates’ website)
- Start the recipe by heating the oven to 190C and then, butter the base of two 20cm round sandwich cake tins. Then line the bases of the tins with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together 200g caster sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 200g unsalted butter, 1 tsp baking powder, the vanilla extract, milk and a dash of salt.
- Next, start by dividing the mixture into the two tins and bake for 20 minutes.
- After removing the cakes from the oven, leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack for further cooling.
- Moving onto the buttercream, put a 100g chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between. After the chocolate becomes melted, leave it to cool for a further 5 minutes.
- Then, mix the 200g softened butter with 400g icing sugar together with fork. When the mixture begins to soften, then switch to a wooden spoon. Sift in the cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, but then pour the chocolate and 2 tbsp milk into the mixture too. Mix till smooth!
- To finish your choc-tastic cake, sandwich the two cakes together with half of the buttercream and spread the rest on the top. Decorate with Guppy’s Chocolates’ delicious salted caramel chocolate shards – yum!
If you fancy giving the cake a go, then please don’t forget to tag us in your choc-tastic creations on social!