Royal Ascot is one of the world’s greatest race horsing events. It takes place over five days from Tuesday 20th June and attendees can enjoy watching the finest racehorses from around the globe in action. It’s no wonder that Great Britain’s highly treasured race meeting attracts so much attention!
If you’re getting ready to watch Royal Ascot this year, have a read of our top facts to brush up on your knowledge:
- Royal Ascot is Britain’s most popular race meeting, welcoming approximately 300,000 visitors every year
- Ascot Racecourse is visited by almost 600,000 racegoers a year, accounting for 10% of all UK racegoers
- It was the first racecourse in Europe to reach the 500,000 racegoer milestone
- Grass is cut to a strict four inches for flat racing and five inches for Jumps racing
- There are 143 full-time staff, reaching more than 6,000 temporary staff during Royal Ascot
- There are more than 100 bars and food outlets around the racecourse, and 247 private boxes
- The Royal Procession, a ceremonial honour, takes place at the beginning of each race day. This was first introduced by King George IV in 1825
- In 2014, Ascot Racecourse recycled 622 tonnes of waste as part of its commitment to reducing its impact on the carbon footprint
- Finally, participants at Royal Ascot compete for over £6.58 million in prize money. No wonder so many enter the prestigious competition!
To make the most of your time at Royal Ascot, why not arrive early and start your day with a delicious picnic within the stunning grounds? Browse our range of perfect picnic hampers here.